Audiobooks

A place to talk about books! [Public]

Moderator: scrapperqueen

Aztam
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 672

Audiobooks

Post by Aztam »

I have made a real effort to “read” books this year. I have taken suggestions from several book clubs and inspiration from the Booklist Queen. Not to mention the Booklover’s challenge entries have intrigued me as well. The free app, Overdrive is my main source of reading audiobooks. My library is supported with that app and luckily has a wide variety to choose.

So far I have read 15 or so and have several on hold as I find new recommendations. Is anyone else listening to books this year? Or read something that was great?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Tam
ernstem
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 20

Re: Audiobooks

Post by ernstem »

I read ALL THE TIME. I follow a lot of people on "YouTube/BookTube" for new releases, recommendations, thoughts, etc. I started using goodreads a couple years ago and that is a place to look for ideas too. I can do physical books and ebooks but I cannot do audiobooks. I have tried and it doesn't work well since I have to concentrate so much. I am not an auditory learner and listening is my least preferred method.

What kind of books do you read? Favorite authors?
Aztam
Cherry Bing

Post by Aztam »

ernstem wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:12 pm
I read ALL THE TIME. I follow a lot of people on "YouTube/BookTube" for new releases, recommendations, thoughts, etc. I started using goodreads a couple years ago and that is a place to look for ideas too. I can do physical books and ebooks but I cannot do audiobooks. I have tried and it doesn't work well since I have to concentrate so much. I am not an auditory learner and listening is my least preferred method.

What kind of books do you read? Favorite authors?

Two faves: Chicklit (think Reese Witherspoon dramas with a little comedy) and mystery/detective/spy (also historical fiction in for the mix)

Current favorite authors: Taylor Jenkins Reid, Ruth Ware, and Kate Quinn but I will read everything Jennifer Weiner writes

I have stretched out to many other books, but these seem to be the ones I enjoy the most.

What about you? Favorite genres, reads or authors? I haven’t quite got the knack of goodreads, maybe I should give it another try.

Tam
VALERIE 03/22
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 437

Post by VALERIE 03/22 »

I DON'T DO AUDIOBOOKS EITHER BUT I DO LOVE TO READ CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL BOOKS...... I BELIEVE CANFIELD IS THE AUTHOR...... I LIKE THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE MINI STORIES OF REAL LIFE HAPPENINGS TO PEOPLE, PETS, KIDS ETC.... LOVE THE PET STORIES BEST THOUGH..... VALERIE
Aztam
Cherry Bing

Post by Aztam »

SCRAPBOOKINGVLCS wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:37 pm
I DON'T DO AUDIOBOOKS EITHER BUT I DO LOVE TO READ CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL BOOKS...... I BELIEVE CANFIELD IS THE AUTHOR...... I LIKE THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE MINI STORIES OF REAL LIFE HAPPENINGS TO PEOPLE, PETS, KIDS ETC.... LOVE THE PET STORIES BEST THOUGH..... VALERIE

A friend of mine has a story in the Scrapbooking for the soul book! Those are sweet stories.

Tam
VALERIE 03/22
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 437

Post by VALERIE 03/22 »

Aztam wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:39 pm
SCRAPBOOKINGVLCS wrote:

A friend of mine has a story in the Scrapbooking for the soul book! Those are sweet stories.

YA I LOVE THOSE STORIES UTIL I GET TO THE PET ONE'S AND THE PET PASSES AWAY THEN I CRY LIKE A BABY....... I READ THE SCRAPBOOKING SOUL BOOK IT WAS GREAT.... NOT SURE IF THERE IS ANOTHER 1 OUT FOR IT OR NOT WISH THERE WOULD BE.... VALERIE 

Natalie Dill
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 725

Post by Natalie Dill »

I probably read over half of my books by audiobook! I have a goal of 52 for the year.

We have similar tastes in books, it seems.

One of my favorite series is Elly Griffith's Ruth Galloway series, but I'm not sure they're all available on Overdrive. They were not when I first began them, but I think they have expanded their presence since then.

So far, my favorites I have read recently are:
Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley
Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton
All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai
The Collector's Apprentice by BA Shapiro
The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells
Before I Met You by Lisa Jewell
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Ok I"ll stop. LOL

Natalie 💖 🍒  Find more at Dillightfully Crafty YouTube

DMarie
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 462

Post by DMarie »

Love audiobooks!  I love to listen while I'm scrapping.  Favorite themes are: sci-fi, mysteries, children's books & biographies.  Too many authors to list.  Currently have 1 ebook & 2 audiobooks in process.  My mom instilled a love for reading in me.
Dawn Marie 
MacSarah
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 276

Post by MacSarah »

I love audiobooks.  I use the Libby app through our library.
I am currently working my way through the works of Stephen King.
But I break up the "heavy" with some brain candy...  celebrity bio's like Reese Witherspoon and Anna Kendrick were a couple faves.
~Sarah~
Aztam
Cherry Bing

Post by Aztam »

NatalieDill wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:58 am
I probably read over half of my books by audiobook! I have a goal of 52 for the year.

We have similar tastes in books, it seems.

One of my favorite series is Elly Griffith's Ruth Galloway series, but I'm not sure they're all available on Overdrive. They were not when I first began them, but I think they have expanded their presence since then.

So far, my favorites I have read recently are:
Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley
Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton
All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai
The Collector's Apprentice by BA Shapiro
The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells
Before I Met You by Lisa Jewell
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Ok I"ll stop. LOL

Thanks for listing these! Some I’ve read and some are on my holds. Now I will see if my library has the others! Rebecca Wells is a favorite I hadn’t thought of in awhile. The Divine Secrets of the Yaya sisterhood is one of my all time favorites. I love the true friendships. The movie made the books come alive!! Although, of course, there were differences.

Tam
Aztam
Cherry Bing

Post by Aztam »

MacSarah wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:53 am
I love audiobooks.  I use the Libby app through our library.
I am currently working my way through the works of Stephen King.
But I break up the "heavy" with some brain candy...  celebrity bio's like Reese Witherspoon and Anna Kendrick were a couple faves.
Ooooh, I cannot read SK! Too creepy.

But I just read Reese’s Whiskey in a Teacup and thought it was charming. Although, that was not my experience growing up in the rural south, small town country living.

Tam
Aztam
Cherry Bing

Post by Aztam »

DMarie wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:44 am
Love audiobooks!  I love to listen while I'm scrapping.  Favorite themes are: sci-fi, mysteries, children's books & biographies.  Too many authors to list.  Currently have 1 ebook & 2 audiobooks in process.  My mom instilled a love for reading in me.

My son is able to read more than one book at a time, but I never could unless it was school books and something I had chosen to read. And recently realized I can’t scrapbook and listen if I am following a particular design. I have had to pause my book and finish a process on a page, even rewind some of the book because I missed a good part!  I am losing my multi-tasking skills, haha

Tam
ernstem
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 20

Post by ernstem »

Aztam wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:31 pm
Two faves: Chicklit (think Reese Witherspoon dramas with a little comedy) and mystery/detective/spy (also historical fiction in for the mix)

Current favorite authors: Taylor Jenkins Reid, Ruth Ware, and Kate Quinn but I will read everything Jennifer Weiner writes

I have stretched out to many other books, but these seem to be the ones I enjoy the most.

What about you? Favorite genres, reads or authors? I haven’t quite got the knack of goodreads, maybe I should give it another try. 

I enjoy Young Adult Fantasy, Adult Fantasy, general fiction, historical fiction WWII, cozy mysteries...
So far these past several months I've really enjoyed:

The German Midwife by Mandy Robotham
The Book of Lost Names by Kritin Harmel
Beartown by Fredrik Backman
The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune
Midlife Bounty Hunter by Shannon Mayer
The Life She was Given by Ellen Marie Wiseman

Favorite authors: 
Ellen Marie Wiseman, Diane Chamberlain, RaeAnne Thayne, Jennifer Chiaverini, Laura Bradford, Debbie Macomber, Kristin Hannah (just her historical works), Ruta Sepetys
(Fantasy)-CJ Redwine, Leigh Bardugo, Elly Blake, Tricia Levenseller, Kristin Cashore, Lauren DeStefano, Adriene Young
Aztam
Cherry Bing

Post by Aztam »

ernstem wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:31 am
Aztam wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:31 pm

I enjoy Young Adult Fantasy, Adult Fantasy, general fiction, historical fiction WWII, cozy mysteries...
So far these past several months I've really enjoyed:

The German Midwife by Mandy Robotham
The Book of Lost Names by Kritin Harmel
Beartown by Fredrik Backman
The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune
Midlife Bounty Hunter by Shannon Mayer
The Life She was Given by Ellen Marie Wiseman

Favorite authors: 
Ellen Marie Wiseman, Diane Chamberlain, RaeAnne Thayne, Jennifer Chiaverini, Laura Bradford, Debbie Macomber, Kristin Hannah (just her historical works), Ruta Sepetys
(Fantasy)-CJ Redwine, Leigh Bardugo, Elly Blake, Tricia Levenseller, Kristin Cashore, Lauren DeStefano, Adriene Young 
Some of these are familiar and some are new to me. Thanks for sharing, my holds are full now but I actually have some of these already on hold!! I will check out the authors I’m not familiar with yet. Thank 

Tam
Jenna O
Cherry Tart
Gallery: 16

Post by Jenna O »

I just came back from a crop yesterday and so was a bit bummed on my commute into work (back to the real world and not enough time for scrapbooking!)... but I downloaded a new audio book for my drive and that put me in a better mood. I started listening to The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave (which I think is a Reese's book club selection). Pretty good so far but I'm only about 8% through it so far. I'm looking forward to scrolling through this post and getting some good suggestions for commuting audiobooks. I also listen to them while I clean and do dishes. I haven't had much luck listening to them while I scrapbook because I get so focused on the scrapping that I miss some of the book. Anyone else struggle with that? 
Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 508

Post by Jolly Holly Scraps »

Aztam wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:39 pm
SCRAPBOOKINGVLCS wrote:

Scrapbooking for the soul!!! How did I miss that???!
Jolly Holly Scraps
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 508

Post by Jolly Holly Scraps »

I love to read! I got the Kindle app on my phone 2 years ago and I read everywhere now! Love being able to take a book with me everywhere, and I have to say, I've bought book themed scrapbooking stuff cause I'm gonna chronicle some of my reads... I use Goodreads to keep up with what I've read- though sometimes I forget to post stuff to it lol
I do audiobook occasionally but I'd rather read with my eyes lol
MerryScraps67
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 257

Post by MerryScraps67 »

I love audiobooks!   I have very dry eyes, my eye dr & I are working on this problem but so far nothing is working very well.  It cause me to have very blurry eyes and problems with focusing in on words so audiobooks it is.  I listen through Scribd because there isn't a library in the county.  I could go into town & become a member but that is very expensive.  Anyway, enough of that, I love Scribd.  I listen to Historic Christian Fiction & WW2 Era Fiction books.  If that is something you or anyone is interested in, I would be glad to share some of the books I have listened to.  I am completely aware that I have a different love of books then most that is why I am waiting to share my list, just in case there is no one interested in my style books, lol.  I'm not hurt if no one is, I'm so used to that, lol. 
JAire
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 949

Post by JAire »

Okay, you all have peaked my interest.
In the way distant past I have enjoyed listening to books borrowed from the library, 99% of the time for traveling. My question is how do I pick a service? I looked up Scribd and it is $10 a month. Is that normal? I have a very particular taste (I'm not usually interested in the popular genre of today) and I would want to know my kind of material is available with their service. How do I go about that? 
Joyce Ann

Aztam
Cherry Bing

Post by Aztam »

JAire wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:48 pm
Okay, you all have peaked my interest.
In the way distant past I have enjoyed listening to books borrowed from the library, 99% of the time for traveling. My question is how do I pick a service? I looked up Scribd and it is $10 a month. Is that normal? I have a very particular taste (I'm not usually interested in the popular genre of today) and I would want to know my kind of material is available with their service. How do I go about that? 

I use Overdrive app on my devices. It connects to my library and I check out books as well as put them on hold.

Tam

Return to “Book Nook”