I Have Joined the Tablet Community

A place to talk about books! [Public]

Moderator: scrapperqueen

croppinmama
Cherry Cola
Gallery: -2

I Have Joined the Tablet Community

Post by croppinmama »

....Oh My!!  I swore I would never give in, but my husband got me a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. I have no idea what that is or what it can do, but I know my Cherry Friends would know. He wins stuff from work and uses his points to buy from an online catalog. It will be shipped and in next week. He said it was for Mothers Day....I secretly think he is sick of my bedside lamp on late into the night. I like to read in bed before falling asleep. My book lights have burned out and it doesn't light up the entire page anyway.

I'm not ready to give up on books. I still like holding them in my hand and going to the library. I will probably still brings books to the beach and to doctors appointments. I do like the idea of having the Kindle in bed though. I'm excited about that.

So ladies....tell me what I can do with this thing. Can I increase the fonts? I'm old and like the large print. I spend most of my time in the large print section of our town library, lol.

sarahwhithers
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 2269

Re: I Have Joined the Tablet Community

Post by sarahwhithers »

I have a Kobo Vox, which is a different kind of e-reader tablet, and love it. You can increase the font for sure, you can change the brightness of your screen, I've found it useful for bringing up recipes on and using that in the kitchen to read off of. I also love it cuz I read on my lunch every day, and with paperbacks, it was hard to eat with one hand and hold a book open with the other. Now I can use both my hands to eat if I need, and it's just a touch to turn a page. :)
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

sarahwhithers wrote:I have a Kobo Vox, which is a different kind of e-reader tablet, and love it. You can increase the font for sure, you can change the brightness of your screen, I've found it useful for bringing up recipes on and using that in the kitchen to read off of. I also love it cuz I read on my lunch every day, and with paperbacks, it was hard to eat with one hand and hold a book open with the other. Now I can use both my hands to eat if I need, and it's just a touch to turn a page. :)
That's good to know. I love to eat and read. Now I won't get my food on the books. It's not good when it is a borrowed book, lol. The brightness tip is cool, thank you. 
CarrieG
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1781

Post by CarrieG »

I don't use one but my DH has the same Kindle and he just uses it like one would a laptop..lol  plays games, watches tv, browses the internet, does FB etc
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

CarrieG wrote:I don't use one but my DH has the same Kindle and he just uses it like one would a laptop..lol  plays games, watches tv, browses the internet, does FB etc
Oh I didn't know I could do that stuff. I can't wait to read the manual and play with it. My daughter steals my laptop all the time, so it will be nice that I can go on the internet. Thanks Image 
CarrieG
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1781

Post by CarrieG »

Croppinmama wrote:
CarrieG wrote:I don't use one but my DH has the same Kindle and he just uses it like one would a laptop..lol  plays games, watches tv, browses the internet, does FB etc
Oh I didn't know I could do that stuff. I can't wait to read the manual and play with it. My daughter steals my laptop all the time, so it will be nice that I can go on the internet. Thanks Image 

YUP...I actually don't know too many ppl who use a KFire for just reading.........it is billed as a tablet first with ereader capacities  :) 
butterfly843
A Cherry on Top
Gallery: 874

Post by butterfly843 »

I have one and love it. You can go online with it and I use it to read at night or when we travel. I still pick you regular books at the library or bookstore and read those at the beach or by the pool.
anazelia
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 803

Post by anazelia »

I have a kindle fire and a regular kindle.  I check books out on line with mine all the time.  I typically only use mine for reading and playing words with friends. I will occasionnaly use it to browse on zulily and surf the internet.  But mainly for reading.

I keep numerous books on mine kindle so if I am out and about and I finish a book, I have another one with me.  I read all the time, and it is so nice to lug around a thin kindle than a 1000 page  book.
harper828
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 16

Post by harper828 »

You will love it and you can still borrow books from the library and have them on your kindle.  You just need to have a PIN number for your library card.  Also Amazon has lots of free books. 

The font size and brightness can be adjusted.
Live, Love and Create
writerlady
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 448

Post by writerlady »

I have a Kindle - the kind that looks like paper while reading. I LOVE it! I have SO much free books... Google "Kindle free books".  You can also go online with yours. Do you belong to Amazon Prime or Netflix? You can watch free movies, too. It's really great to carry around the house, too.
Please stop by my blog,Writerlady's Craftroom

Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Post by Ayla »

I haven't given in yet, but I do like the aspect of not having to carry about a thick book. The books I tend to read are definitely long ones. Will have to remember the library tip if I do break down and give in!
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

anazelia wrote:I have a kindle fire and a regular kindle.  I check books out on line with mine all the time.  I typically only use mine for reading and playing words with friends. I will occasionnaly use it to browse on zulily and surf the internet.  But mainly for reading.

I keep numerous books on mine kindle so if I am out and about and I finish a book, I have another one with me.  I read all the time, and it is so nice to lug around a thin kindle than a 1000 page  book.
It will come in handy then. It's happened to me a few times were I have finished a book while waiting for the kids somewhere and I don't have another one to start. Thanks.  
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

harper828 wrote:You will love it and you can still borrow books from the library and have them on your kindle.  You just need to have a PIN number for your library card.  Also Amazon has lots of free books. 

The font size and brightness can be adjusted.
I'm so excited to borrow from the library. I do everything online w/ our library and have a pin. It will be great on crappy weather days where I don't want to go to the library to pick up the books I have on hold. Thank you Image
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

writerlady wrote:I have a Kindle - the kind that looks like paper while reading. I LOVE it! I have SO much free books... Google "Kindle free books".  You can also go online with yours. Do you belong to Amazon Prime or Netflix? You can watch free movies, too. It's really great to carry around the house, too.
I don't belong to Netflix but my husband has an IPad and he watches movies through our Comcast account. I will ask him how to do it. He said it came in handy when flying on an airplane or riding the train for work. It blocks out all the noise around him, he hates crowds.
Scrap Bug
Cherry Bomb
Gallery: 240

Post by Scrap Bug »

I have a Nook Color that I love.

I actually prefer it over regular books now - the only downside is if I forget to charge it, at least a regular book you don't have to charge.

Once in a while I will surf the net, but I mainly use it for reading. 
Melissa
JillinIN
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 479

Post by JillinIN »

You'll love it!!! I'm a paper in my hand book girl too and will never give up physical books, but I do love my Kindle Fire HD. DH got it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago.
My two favorite Apps:
Kindle Buffet - a list of free books that changes every day. If you think hunting cherries is addicting wait until you begin hunting free books. lol  Kindle Buffet makes it easy and it's a free ap.
PepperPlate - This is a recipe ap that you can also use on your computer the two sinc together with your log in. You can find recipes online and if the site is supported by pepperplate.com just copy/paste the url and it automatically imports it. If it's not supported I just copy and paste the recipe into each section. You can also manually import your own recipes. I usually do this on the computer because it's easier to type. You can select recipes to add to the grocery list. It automatically adds everything in that recipe and if you have anything on had you just deselect it. You can add other items too then just take your kindle to the grocery store and check it off as you buy it. It sorts items into categories. Take your kindle into the kitchen and cook from it instead of a recipe book. Also a free ap.

Congratulations!!!!

Jill
 Jill
ImageImage
emmapaige
Chatty Cherry
Gallery: 2439

Post by emmapaige »

I have an iPad which I LOVE, but would love a Kindle to read books since it is much lighter than the iPad.
** Chris **

My blog: http://mommomandpoppop.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImage Image

croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

JillinIN wrote:You'll love it!!! I'm a paper in my hand book girl too and will never give up physical books, but I do love my Kindle Fire HD. DH got it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago.
My two favorite Apps:
Kindle Buffet - a list of free books that changes every day. If you think hunting cherries is addicting wait until you begin hunting free books. lol  Kindle Buffet makes it easy and it's a free ap.
PepperPlate - This is a recipe ap that you can also use on your computer the two sinc together with your log in. You can find recipes online and if the site is supported by pepperplate.com just copy/paste the url and it automatically imports it. If it's not supported I just copy and paste the recipe into each section. You can also manually import your own recipes. I usually do this on the computer because it's easier to type. You can select recipes to add to the grocery list. It automatically adds everything in that recipe and if you have anything on had you just deselect it. You can add other items too then just take your kindle to the grocery store and check it off as you buy it. It sorts items into categories. Take your kindle into the kitchen and cook from it instead of a recipe book. Also a free ap.

Congratulations!!!!

I'm loving the info. How cool is taking it to the grocery store then to your kitchen. I will have to tell hubby that he may eat better now that I have a Kindle. Image 

Return to “Book Nook”