Is your Summer over yet?

Moderator: ACOT Employee

mariangeles_spain
Cherry Tart

Is your Summer over yet?

Post by mariangeles_spain »

Hi there!

I was just thinking about different countries, weather, traditions,... Is your Summer over yet?

As for myself, I've been working and will have my vacation time from Sep.12th to Oct.4th, so my Summer will be a little longer :)

I haven't been to the beach. I've just had a few swims at my parents' swimming-pool :D

It's so hot in here, Valencia, in the East coast of Spain, but the worst part is the humidity. All day sweating, no fun at all :( But I love cold showers :D

I've done some scrapping too HERE. TFL!!

I don't have kids, but primary school here starts on Sep.9th and middle/high on the 16th.

What about where you live?
blbabe1234
Cherry Bark
Gallery: 3695

Re: Is your Summer over yet?

Post by blbabe1234 »

I live in South Texas, wear hot/humid "Summer-like" temps span from late April/early May to November! Sometimes we're in shorts and t-shirts in December!

I don't have any kids, but do live in a year-round school district where kids went back to school a month ago. It works out because every 6 wks, the kids are off a week. If you are failing or are struggling, you go to school that week to make up tests, or for tutoring. If you don't need it, then its a week off from school. Winter break they are off for 3 wks and Spring Break lasts 2 wks. Last day of school is end of May, so Summer Vacation lasts 2 months. Which is pretty ideal in my book. Kids don't get bored out of their mind during the summer. I remember lovin' it when I was a kid.
Brandy 🐾 🐾 ❤️

ImageImage   ImageImageImage
mgehrke
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 2212

Post by mgehrke »

I live in MN where the weather can change as fast as you can change your underwear. LOL (jk) but it does change and is unpredictable. Like this year, we had a snow fall in May. I have lived here for 39 years and have NEVER had snow in May. But you asked about summer. This year it has been really super nice. Not too hot and not too cold. We are just coming out of a little heat/humid wave, but it is all good. We could still see come good weather into October, and then that when the unpredictable weather can start.

My kids are grown and out of school, but school starts here the day after Labor Day. We live by an elementary school, so the traffic will soon start to roll around here.
Mildred - Mom to 2 girls and a husband (I tell people that I am a single mom of 3. Ages 59, 37 and 31) lol. And a proud Grandma to Orahn (7) Sawyer (5) and Mazie (3).

ImageImageImageImageImage
mariangeles_spain
Cherry Tart

blbabe1234 wrote:I live in South Texas, wear hot/humid "Summer-like" temps span from late April/early May to November! Sometimes we're in shorts and t-shirts in December! ...
That sounds a lot like in here :)

blbabe1234 wrote: ... I don't have any kids, but do live in a year-round school district where kids went back to school a month ago. It works out because every 6 wks, the kids are off a week. If you are failing or are struggling, you go to school that week to make up tests, or for tutoring. If you don't need it, then its a week off from school. Winter break they are off for 3 wks and Spring Break lasts 2 wks. Last day of school is end of May, so Summer Vacation lasts 2 months. Which is pretty ideal in my book. Kids don't get bored out of their mind during the summer. I remember lovin' it when I was a kid.
That sounds pretty cool :)

TFS :D
oceanbreezes423
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 2131

Post by oceanbreezes423 »

I live in South Carolina, right on the coast! Very hot and sticky here still, and will be for about another month. I am still able to wear shorts though most of the winter, our average temp is around 50 Fahrenheit. My children are all grown, but I am a caregiver to 4 of them. They just started school today, so their summer is over.
ImageSusan  Image   Image  Image
Charleneanne
Cherry Delight
Gallery: 1496

Post by Charleneanne »

I live in central California and it is hot hot here usually through end of September or later. We have had 100 degree weather as late as end of October before too. Typically our fall weather starts trying to slip in end of October/early November but we do have a nice cool wet winter most years.
School started here last week. My kids are all grown too so not important to me per ser but DD teaches middle school in Florida and her classes came back this week.

Nice to meet you.
citygirl22
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 175

Post by citygirl22 »

I live in Vancouver, Canada ... summer here usually starts in June and wraps up right about now, in late August. I love summertime here ... it's sunny and warm but there's no humidity and always a nice breeze coming up off the ocean.

We're one of the few places in Canada where there isn't really any winter. It doesn't get too cold here and we hardly ever get snow in the city (sometimes out in the suburbs there's snow, and definitely up on the mountains) ... but we do get rain. Lots and lots of rain, from September to May. Because summer is the nicest time of year to be in Vancouver, my husband and I usually save our vacations for the fall or winter. After weeks of gloomy, overcast weather it's nice to get away somewhere sunny & warm! :)

I don't have any kids yet, but school begins on September 3rd here.
Stephanie
I blog @ Skyline Paperie
Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2322

Post by Art_Teacher »

Not sure why you posted this in General Debate ;), but summer is not over here. LOL. We did start back to school, but it is actually hotter here (and more humid) than it has been since July. It was 85 degrees today and so sticky! I teach in an un-airconditioned classroom with no windows and the thermometer read 89 degrees in my classroom! I wish Fall would just hurry up and get here, now. :)
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
debamas
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 228

Post by debamas »

Hi, I'm along the Gulf Coast in NW Florida. It's been in the 80- 90's, and humid. I went to the beach last week, first this year and had a great time. I like your LO's of the dolphins and love the punch that makes those holes. Do you post in our Gallery too? Hope you hang around on the message board some so we can get to know you better.
Debbie

need2scrap
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 32

Post by need2scrap »

Hi and Welcome to the message boards!

I live in the middle of North Dakota. We're still hoping to get summer!! haha. It's pretty much like MN - and Mildred's post - but the weather is usally about 10 degrees hotter or colder, I think due to the lack of land contour and lack of trees here. I've lived in ND, MN and back to ND most of my 44 years. The past week we have finally hit a run of 90+ degrees. The last couple of years have been weird here, seems like winter gets a late start and then hangs around way too long so our spring is late and then straight into the 80 degree summer weather in June. We have stretches of humidity, but nothing like Brandi and the coastal states.

One year for the 3 week deer season in November, you could wear shorts the first weekend, comfortable with a light jacket or sweatshirt the second weekend and then sitting in a snowbank and freezing in the 10 degrees the third weekend.

School started last Thursday. My dd is out of college but my ds is still in college so we're not really affected by that.
*** Christi ***
Love to scrap - Need to scrap - Not enough time to scrap!!!

1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

Hello, and welcome to ACOT! I would love to visit Spain. Even if it were hot. I live in NW Florida, too. Debbie is a friend of mine and we see each other every week. Our husbands each have health issues so we get together and support each other. Since we both scrap it is a good bet that we will be talking about that a lot, too. Shopping and scrapping are good activities. Hope you decide to visit here more often. We are a lively group.
Bibi
mariangeles_spain
Cherry Tart

1grandma wrote:Hello, and welcome to ACOT! I would love to visit Spain. Even if it were hot. I live in NW Florida, too. Debbie is a friend of mine and we see each other every week. Our husbands each have health issues so we get together and support each other. Since we both scrap it is a good bet that we will be talking about that a lot, too. Shopping and scrapping are good activities. Hope you decide to visit here more often. We are a lively group.
Thanks!!!
gonecamping
Cherry Garcia
Gallery: 129

Post by gonecamping »

I work for the local school district and my summer is just about over. I go back to work next week and kids go back to school Sept 1. Welcome to the boards, I have been exploring your blog. Nice work!
***Tanya***
Monroe1218
Cherry Cropper
Gallery: 86

Post by Monroe1218 »

Welcome to the boards!

I live in northeast Tennessee... It's hot and humid here!

I don't have any children (yet) but school started back here on August 2 for most districts. I think that's way too early, but no one asked my opinion about the school calendar. It does allow the students to finish up the class and take exams before the Christmas break.
Rebecca

killarney_rose
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 356

Post by killarney_rose »

Welcome to the boards!!!

My children are out of school. Daughter finished college last year with her Masters. Our son is still in college. Local schools at both homes started this past Monday. Unlike Brandy both school systems where I have homes are on nine months so they have three months off in the summer.

I really shouldn't laugh!!! I looked up on line your temps for the next ten days! I would love love to have temperatures like that in summer especially August! Like Brandy I live in Texas! We are a huge state so it depends on what part of the state you are in as to the temperatures and amount of humidity! To give you an example....I live 3 1/2 hours away from Brandy or 175 miles (281 km). Even a better example: I took my daughter to a rabbit show in Wichita, Kansas which was 10 miles shorter then to the rabbit show we went to in Amarillo, TX. Distance to Amarillo is 643 miles (1043 km).

I have two homes. The one I wrote about above is 42 miles south of downtown Houston. I'm only 15 miles from the coast. Average summer temps are 88-93 F. We have even hit 103 this summer. And like Brandy we hit 90-100% humidity. We usually hit low 100's three or four days each summer. My other home, our ranch, is near Groesbeck, TX and is 40 miles East of Waco. Totally different ecosystem. Normal temps in summer are 93-105 with 60-75% humidity. I have seen it as high as 115 degrees in the middle of Texas worse drought in 2011. This year we have hit 110. Average number of days above 100 is 30. 2011 we had 115 days above 100 of that 100 consecutive days 100 degrees or above. This summer we have had 22 days above 100 but overall average summer temps is below average and above average summer rain! Overall yearly average of rain at the ranch is slightly short right now. We really need heavy fall rains to fill our stock tanks (ponds dug to provide water for cattle). We haven't had a rain event in which we get a large runoff. It usually takes a 4 inch rain event to fill the tanks. Our yearly average rain in Houston is 48 inches and the average at the ranch is 30 inches.

I would love love to see Europe! The photos my daughter got of the Mediterranean Sea were beautiful when she was in Italy! I'd also like to see the North Sea! Sigh....I probably will never go. I have promised good friends in Australia if I ever get to travel overseas I will make a beeline to their Stud (farm/ranch). We use a large amount of their genetics in our cattle herd. They have visited our ranch twice in the last three years.

Your layouts are stunning!
croppinmama
Cherry Cola
Gallery: -2

Post by croppinmama »

Yes...in my mind summer is over. I'm done, can't wait for Fall. The temps are still in the 80's and it was a little humid today. This weekend will be cooler and dryer. I have 3 kids going back to school the first week of September. I have all the school supplies and bought all the books for my daughter's college courses. This weekend is clothes shopping. I am not in a summer mood anymore. My tan is almost gone and I'm ready to trade in my sandals for shoes. I get sick of looking at peoples feet, haa haa.
mariangeles_spain
Cherry Tart

Thanks everyone for the answers and the warm welcome :)
mariangeles_spain
Cherry Tart

killarney_rose wrote: ... I would love love to see Europe! The photos my daughter got of the Mediterranean Sea were beautiful when she was in Italy! I'd also like to see the North Sea! Sigh....I probably will never go. I have promised good friends in Australia if I ever get to travel overseas I will make a beeline to their Stud (farm/ranch). We use a large amount of their genetics in our cattle herd. They have visited our ranch twice in the last three years.

Your layouts are stunning!

You'd love it here :) I have been to the North of Spain, but I know it's so beautiful :)

One of my dreams is going to Australia someday...

TFL at my LOs :D
mariangeles_spain
Cherry Tart

Croppinmama wrote:Yes...in my mind summer is over. I'm done, can't wait for Fall. The temps are still in the 80's and it was a little humid today. This weekend will be cooler and dryer. I have 3 kids going back to school the first week of September. I have all the school supplies and bought all the books for my daughter's college courses. This weekend is clothes shopping. I am not in a summer mood anymore. My tan is almost gone and I'm ready to trade in my sandals for shoes. I get sick of looking at peoples feet, haa haa.

I love long Summer days, but I could also get some Fall in a couple of weeks hehehe

As for "looking at peoples feet", I don't like to show mine, but I can't do anything about it...

Return to “General Debate”