"Baby, It's Cold Outside"

Moderator: ACOT Employee

kate W.
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 150

Re: "Baby, It's Cold Outside"

Post by kate W. »

I'll stir a bit too. I agree with Shannon about the "what's in this drink" line.  For years the implication of what that actually meant went unnoticed to me. Now it does appear to be a bit predatory and a reference to a date rape drug. But then again I might be reading too much into the song.  

I support "Me Too" for many reasons both personal and otherwise. I am a "Me Too" unfortunately way too many times in my life.  I am very active in social justice and trying to get things to change.  I personally don't like the term "politically correct" because truthfully, politics have nothing to do with whether you think everyone deserves basic human rights and respect.  I consider it being a good human.  However,  I also agree that there are far more horribly offensive songs out there that advocate and promote violence towards women.  "Baby it's cold outside" is only offensive if in fact it was referencing him putting a quaalude in her drink. If not, then it's just a song about the double standard of how women are treated if they happen to enjoy staying overnight with their man. 

Personally. I like the song.  It has been one of my favorites since childhood. Is that one questionable line enough to make me stop listening to it and singing it? No. I might change that lyric though to something not so suggestive of a date rape drug.

I'm in Canton so the controversy has been on the news here. It is tough because I can totally understand how someone who has been a victim of rape by a date rape drug would be triggered by that lyric. At the same time I can also see that perhaps thinking that's what the song is about is perhaps overthinking it and finding offense where there is none.  Yes, the radio station in question is being good for the fact that they are supporting the Me Too movement and being sensitive to other peoples feelings.  On the other hand,  removing the song all together-well, I just don't know.  Personally, if i'm playing Christmas music in my home and a guest said they were uncomfortable with that song I would immediately switch it to be respectfull of their feelings. 

Obviously my lawyer brain could argue both sides.  Which one is right? I just don't know.  That's my two cents.  
2014 Totals 51 layouts
8 cards

mgehrke
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 2212

Post by mgehrke »

Here in MN we just lost another 14 year old boy to suicide due to bullying. The schools, police and many more were informed that this poor child was being bullied. Well unfortunately after the bullies (yes more than one) sent him a text to kill himself, he did just that this past Thursday.

For me I too agree and support the Me Too Movement, but some things are just taken way too far while other things are not given another look. Instead of worrying about song lyrics, why not get more help in the schools? Why not help these kids instead of taking songs off of radio stations? I'm sorry but I don't agree that the radio station should have taken the song off the air. 

I have to leave this here, because I can go on and on and on about this and will probably just upset myself more than I already am.
Mildred - Mom to 2 girls and a husband (I tell people that I am a single mom of 3. Ages 59, 37 and 31) lol. And a proud Grandma to Orahn (7) Sawyer (5) and Mazie (3).

ImageImageImageImageImage
Flasher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 319

Post by Flasher »

mgehrke wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:14 pm
Here in MN we just lost another 14 year old boy to suicide due to bullying. The schools, police and many more were informed that this poor child was being bullied. Well unfortunately after the bullies (yes more than one) sent him a text to kill himself, he did just that this past Thursday.

For me I too agree and support the Me Too Movement, but some things are just taken way too far while other things are not given another look. Instead of worrying about song lyrics, why not get more help in the schools? Why not help these kids instead of taking songs off of radio stations? I'm sorry but I don't agree that the radio station should have taken the song off the air. 

I have to leave this here, because I can go on and on and on about this and will probably just upset myself more than I already am.
I agree with you completely, Mildred. 

OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

Flasher
Cherry Crush

Post by Flasher »

ScrapHappyKatie wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:09 pm
I'll stir a bit too. I agree with Shannon about the "what's in this drink" line.  For years the implication of what that actually meant went unnoticed to me. Now it does appear to be a bit predatory and a reference to a date rape drug. But then again I might be reading too much into the song.  

I support "Me Too" for many reasons both personal and otherwise. I am a "Me Too" unfortunately way too many times in my life.  I am very active in social justice and trying to get things to change.  I personally don't like the term "politically correct" because truthfully, politics have nothing to do with whether you think everyone deserves basic human rights and respect.  I consider it being a good human.  However,  I also agree that there are far more horribly offensive songs out there that advocate and promote violence towards women.  "Baby it's cold outside" is only offensive if in fact it was referencing him putting a quaalude in her drink. If not, then it's just a song about the double standard of how women are treated if they happen to enjoy staying overnight with their man. 

Personally. I like the song.  It has been one of my favorites since childhood. Is that one questionable line enough to make me stop listening to it and singing it? No. I might change that lyric though to something not so suggestive of a date rape drug.

I'm in Canton so the controversy has been on the news here. It is tough because I can totally understand how someone who has been a victim of rape by a date rape drug would be triggered by that lyric. At the same time I can also see that perhaps thinking that's what the song is about is perhaps overthinking it and finding offense where there is none.  Yes, the radio station in question is being good for the fact that they are supporting the Me Too movement and being sensitive to other peoples feelings.  On the other hand,  removing the song all together-well, I just don't know.  Personally, if i'm playing Christmas music in my home and a guest said they were uncomfortable with that song I would immediately switch it to be respectfull of their feelings. 

Obviously my lawyer brain could argue both sides.  Which one is right? I just don't know.  That's my two cents.   
You know, I guess I'm just ridiculously  naïve, but I have always taken that "What's in this drink?" line to mean it was just a stronger, more masculine, alcoholic drink.  You know, girls tend to drink "light and fruity" and men tend to favor the straight whiskeys and such.  Of course, I guess that could be interpreted as trying to "loosen her up" with alcohol rather than a drug, but I honestly never took it that way.  Still don't.  But, I can see how some people would see it that way. 
OCD is not an adjective.  It is not a personality quirk. It is not synonymous with being organized.  It is a complex and debilitating mental health illness that affects people of all ages and walks of life, and is defined by the presence of unwanted, intrusive thoughts and repetitive actions. 💙 I am an OCD warrior and I fight for my son. 💙

Art_Teacher
Cherry Crush
Gallery: 2322

Post by Art_Teacher »

I read an English teacher's analysis of the song, history, and when it was written, and apparently "What's in this drink?" was a standard joke of the time period used to signify that there was nothing in the drink, but that the person was using it as an excuse for unexpected or poor behavior (as in the drink was too strong, so I can't be expected to act appropriately). ;) I see it as nothing more than a woman in a repressed society, making up excuses to do what she wants to do, which is stay the night with a man. Society has gotten way too preachy, politically correct, and overly sensitive for me! They want to ban Rudolph, too, because it is about bullying. Heaven forbid we actually use it to open a dialogue with kids and teach them something! Let's just ban it! :?
Laura
 Image    Image     Image  Image  Image
Flasher
Cherry Crush

Post by Flasher »

Art_Teacher wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:39 pm
I read an English teacher's analysis of the song, history, and when it was written, and apparently "What's in this drink?" was a standard joke of the time period used to signify that there was nothing in the drink, but that the person was using it as an excuse for unexpected or poor behavior (as in the drink was too strong, so I can't be expected to act appropriately). ;) I see it as nothing more than a woman in a repressed society, making up excuses to do what she wants to do, which is stay the night with a man. Society has gotten way too preachy, politically correct, and overly sensitive for me! They want to ban Rudolph, too, because it is about bullying. Heaven forbid we actually use it to open a dialogue with kids and teach them something! Let's just ban it! :? 

I had never thought about that before, but when I think about all the old movies from the 30's and 40's that I like to watch, that really is a "standard" that does show itself.   I like your summation of "I see it as nothing more than a woman in a repressed society, making up excuses to do what she wants to do, which is stay the night with a man."  This ban has bothered me a lot because of the way people are calling it "predatory".  The woman CLEARLY wants to stay.  How can that be victimization?   As for banning Rudolph -- I'd have a lot to say about that.  :greenwinkb:

Return to “General Debate”