Join Us For Another Online Crop: Feb 26-28
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 1270

Re: Doilies and Diecuts Class HERE!!!!

Post by Laura Fiore »

bay63 wrote:
Laura Fiore wrote:
Or use Gold, which I like better...it's a lot lighter and won't overpower the background sheet you're trying to make. I used a little of both to make the background on the second layout above.

When you do this, should you wait till the 1st one dries or while it is still wet?

Betty Ann...I'm a fast, impatient scrapper, so I always just combine. If I'm waiting for drying time, I only want to do it once. I just used a tiny bit of the yellow and then added the gold to tone it down.
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

Mom2Bri wrote:I'm late sorry. I had to work over.

Hi Teresa! Fashionably late is just fine!!
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

Layout 4-Work It Girls

For this layout, I used the Making Memories Stamp Lovestruck Die Cut. I have to tell you a secret. I also turned this diecut over and misted the edge of a page to get that little scalloped look...I didn't like it. AND I wish I had waited until I cut out the center of it and then misted it, because that would have been very cool! Try it before you start this layout, if you want!
1- Use an exacto to cut just inside the pink edge of the diecut. GENTLY distress the inside edge. If you're not confident in your distressing, I don't recommend this step...it's hard to distress anything this flimsy without tearing it. Save that center piece of paper...I'll show you a fun way to use it down below!
2- Attach outside corners only to cardstock background if you're going to stitch the rest down. Adhesives and sewing machines don't mix very well, so I used tiny glue dots only on the corners and then stitched the rest.
3- I used the following sizes of paper scraps for this...layer them any way you like!
Large plaid piece is 7-1/2" x 6-1/2"
10-1/2" x 3/4"
10-1/2" x 1-1/4"
Diecut border edge (the brown) Take a look at the Lucky in Love layout to see how I used the rest of this diecut
4- When searching for a journaling spot, I came across this flipped over side of the Flutter journaling book...if you can't find a spot you like to match your layout, who says you can't use the white side of a product? ;-) I placed all my layers and then added a bit of the Starfish Glimmer Mist to tie it all together
5- Place photo or photos
6- Cut flowers from pink Martha Stewart glitter diecut to use as embellisments. I wanted my flowers to span the page under the photos, so I cut two or three flowers together.
7- Add buttons or flower embellishments and a title
Janshotgun
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 88

Post by Janshotgun »

Great class, Laura!
Jan - trying to find my way

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

Layout 5-Memories of Grandma's House

For this one, I used that Turquoise Blue Glimmer Misted backside of the diecut that I told you about above! Placed it over a sheet of Lizard Bazzill cardstock...again, I used the technique of adhesive runner over the solid part of the diecut and gluedots behind the corners...these diecuts are perfect for that because the flower centers are the perfect size to attach a glue dot in.
1- Determine the size of your patterned papers by the number and size of the photos you'll use. I used two 4 x 4 heritage photos for this, and wanted some of the paper to show around my photos and embellishments. My paper is 9" x 6". I attached the photos to the right edge of it so that you could see a bit more of the pattern in the middle of the page, and a little closer to the upper edge of it because I knew I wanted to add the paper borders below.
2- Cut two or three border strips. I liked the look of the three. When I cut strips that I'm going to be using my edge punches with, I make them about 1-1/2" wide to start with...that way I can cut off any extra from the unpunched edge if I want to. Place the borders at the bottom edge of your photos
3- I cut one of the Making Memories Flutter journalling spots down so that it fit on my page and placed that over the borders at the edge of the photos.
4- Add embellishments...I used a ribbon to hide the edge of my border strips, a few tags and flowers. I found when using these diecuts that you don't really have to add many embellishments because they make the layouts so pretty by themselves! Add some pearls or bling to the diecut pattern and that is PLENTY
PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Post by PezKat »

Laura Fiore wrote:Hi Janet!

Here are the layouts we will be working on:

Objective: Old and new ways to use diecut sheets...getting a little more bang for your buck with Glimmer Mist!

and

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!
Image Image
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

Janshotgun wrote:Great class, Laura!

Hi Jan--thanks! Does it look like you'll be able to follow the directions easily enough at a later date?
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

PezKat wrote:
Laura Fiore wrote:Hi Janet!

Here are the layouts we will be working on:

Objective: Old and new ways to use diecut sheets...getting a little more bang for your buck with Glimmer Mist!

and

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!

Thanks Katrina...this is the only photo I have of my dad before he joined the service...I wanted it to be a special layout!
writerlady
Bowl Full of Cherries
Gallery: 448

Post by writerlady »

Hi! I'm so looking forward to this!
Please stop by my blog,Writerlady's Craftroom

Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

Layout 6- Lucky in Love

Using the Glimmer Misted (I used Starfish!) Kraft for the background on this one! You will also use a diecut sheet of your choice. I happened to have the brown diecut left over from my Pink Paislee reveal last month.
1- Ink edge of diecut and then stitch it down to background
2- Cut heart shape from the center of the Making Memories Stamp Lovestruck sheet. I just do this the way my 1st or 2nd grade teacher taught me to...fold the paper loosely in half and cut out half a heart so that it is symmetrical
3- Fold small doily (I got these at Walmart...grocery stores usually have some fun ones too...and no, I don't know or care if they are acid free. If you care, don't use them!) in half and place over lower side of heart...add photo
4- I used a premade border sticker and a punched border scrap piece over the bottom edge of the photo here...we've been playing with these ideas enough already to know that you can do it.
5- Use the Flower Bling shape from the Making Memories package as your title spot or a part of your embellishments...I combined those two uses for it here. Add a journaling spot and you're finished!!!
emarie803
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 691

Post by emarie803 »

These are all gorgeous!!
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

writerlady wrote:Hi! I'm so looking forward to this!

Hi Sandy! I can't wait to see what you make!
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

Thanks Em...I have to say, I'm pretty happy with them too. I had a ton of fun playing with these diecuts and am looking forward to using those sheets that I still have misted for later!
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

Does anyone have any questions?
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

Well, that is it everyone! I hope you enjoy playing with your mist, and doilies and diecuts!!!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here in case the answers make things easier for someone else!
Kaylas_Bah
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 12

Post by Kaylas_Bah »

WOW! Great instructions and all 6 LOs are beautiful. I've never tried Glimmer Mist before & now I can't wait to add such elegant touches to these projects. Thanks, Laura.:-D
Lori
Image Image
Laura Fiore
Wild Cherry

Post by Laura Fiore »

Kaylas_Bah wrote:WOW! Great instructions and all 6 LOs are beautiful. I've never tried Glimmer Mist before & now I can't wait to add such elegant touches to these projects. Thanks, Laura.:-D

You're welcome Lori! Thanks for stopping by!
PezKat
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 514

Post by PezKat »

Laura Fiore wrote:5- Mat photo on Graph Side of Refresh paper, trim 1/8" outside of photo, distress and ink edge.
6- Add ribbon, lace, more punched borders at bottom of page (photo will be placed over a portion of this)
7- Add journaling spot or tags (I used Jenni Bowlin products for this). Here's a closeup for details of the last two steps:

I see the 1st yellow scallop border, but I don't see the "more punched borders" anywhere - ? Also, it would be really helpful to see the finished layout in each 'step' post so we don't have to keep scrolling back up to it. ;)
Image Image
deerewife
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 483

Post by deerewife »

looks good Laura - I bought some doilie type papers today with the hopes of doing this. They were too expensive - 6 for $8.00 to not want to use many times! But, I did have a coupon.
Image Image Image Image

Jenna - Mom to Emily (2/02) & Kaitlyn (2/04)
bay63
Cherry Bing
Gallery: 12

Post by bay63 »

Just to be curious, how many different colors of GM do you have?
ImageImage Image

Return to “February Crop 2010”