• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Unnamed Memory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 1:15 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
And the winner of character with the most wasted potential in 2024 goes to... Miralys! No other submissions necessary!

Seriously, she was probably the most intriguing character in show and there was a chance she could be fully fleshed out and interesting later. And then... nothing, she's just gone. Or not gone? Her body is alive but has no soul? What was that sacrifice even fore? When the episode started and it was obvious that Tinasha was suffering from PTSD from Lanak(?) I thought her and Miralys would be kindred spirits with a common enemy since he killed Valt (who seemed to know the witches), but I guess there's no chance of that happening.

And why was Miralys so strong despite having her magic sealed twice over? She summoned a monster wolf that Oscar couldn't beat without a trick and all those orbs, why were we supposed to think she was weak?

And what did they do with Miralys' body? Please tell me they aren't keeping her body around for making royal babies from Oscar's extracted fluids. Shocked It wouldn't be the strangest thing to happen in this series, I wouldn't put it past them.

Emerje

The for what its worth the source was just as abrupt with Valt and Mirayls but they are actually important characters, its only down in the later books you find out why & what their mission is. Their appearance & death here is meant to provide foreshadowing and deepen the mysteries about Oscar's mother and his birth. In fact Valt's dialogue with white-haired man about timelines is pretty heavily hinting there is greater purpose behind Oscar and Tinasha's meeting.

Key wrote:
b-dragon wrote:
If they ever got to the point that the director wanted, they might be able to slow down, take their time, and make it the show actually work. Naive nonsense, but I wanted to like the show I did- and still do- think there is a lot of potential here.

And thats the tragedy, to me. I earnestly do believe that there is a good story here. It is not the one being told, clearly (and I have no idea how much of that is an adaptational issue,) but I think all the ingredients are here. They're just thrown together haphazardly.

This is about exactly where I stand. Still feel this series has potential, but for the last couple of episodes in particular it's been tripping over its own feet pretty hard. I'll still follow it out, but I may follow the lead of a couple of others and check out the novels.

But here's the odd thing: based on the chapter titles of the first novel, the adaption actually isn't rushing things much. Episode 5's title aligns with the title of Chapter 10 (the final one) of novel 1. Other chapter titles suggest that the anime is adapting at a more or less consistent two-chapters-per-episode pace. Make me much more curious about what's going wrong here.

Yes the anime is actually following the LN's a events pretty faithfully, but it removed all the between short-stories that made Oscar and Tinasha relationship flow smmother. The anime isn't bothering to mark the time jumps either like LN and manga which did (or see Frieren's adaptation) what making the some of transitions feel disjointed. Seems like production committee probably wanted to push vol 1-3 all into one cour hence the weird pacing recent episodes have had. UM is a slow burn type of story so the adaptation's choices are generally at odds with that. Its still watchable imo, but yeah tell there quite a bit of potential being lost here. I def recommend for anyone who will finish the anime or is dropping it to at least check the manga and LN. It won't fix every issue you have with story, but I think you will appreciate the developments better there since things have more time to breathe.
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
while he stabbed her more times than the Roman Senate stabbed Julius Caesar

This made me laugh
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 7:40 pm Reply with quote
When you're laser-focused on hitting the main plot points of the story but miss all the emotional build-up to the romance that is central to your entire series...to the point where the main couples' first kiss is totally underwhelming because it feels like it comes out of nowhere. Oh, and the curse is fixed too, I guess?

This really is becoming a show where it feels like stuff just happens because we need to move the adaption along and not because things are progressing naturally, particularly when it comes to character relationships.

Of course it doesn't help that ENGI is delivering such a lackluster and average adaption. Watch the cat slide onto the screen! Watch Oscar and Tinasha statically cross blades! Watch this still shot because we can't show anyone actually walk out of a room!

I thought Lanak was an old lover but while they were engaged it sounded like they were more like siblings before Lanak betrayed her. Though to think he'd be deluded enough to imagine she'd throw herself at him again...which she does, but it's clearly acting. I have to imagine Tinasha's plan is to get Oscar to kill both her and Lanak, which explains why she trained him and why she's kept up so much emotional distance.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 12:54 am Reply with quote
I had every intention of dropping this show but it’s such a train wreck that i just can’t avert my eyes.

Honestly, that was the most lackluster and boring response to an incredibly damning curse being broken I’ve ever seen. I think these characters must have more exciting bowel movements.

So, Tinasha had to strip Oscar in his sleep, paint on his naked body with her blood, and then act like it’s just another day. And Oscar has no qualms with that. Tinasha could’ve taken advantage of him in his sleep and he’d be none the wiser. Did she cast a spell so he wouldn’t wake up?

The first kiss was as exciting and passionate as a colonoscopy. What a way to be alive!

So, Lanak is a bad guy and Tinasha just runs away with him. I feel like Lanak, his evil, and his goals (since there’s clearly more than just building a new country and taking Tinasha as queen) haven’t been built up enough yet to really know how to react. I’m sure Tinasha will exact vengeance on him but at what cost?

Oscar asking Lucrezia how Tinasha feels about him made me laugh. I believe they’re as romantically interested in each other as Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson in 50 Shades.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 12:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
while he stabbed her more times than the Roman Senate stabbed Julius Caesar

This made me laugh so hard I cried! Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 1:52 am Reply with quote
Have to agree with everything Rebecca, MF and Oracle said. That cat sliding onto her shoulder was too funny.

Oscar: I'ma kill that man and bring her back. If she still wants to run off with some other guy, fine, but that dude has to die. Because...I dunno, she ran off with him first? Yeah, that'll do, he ded.

So I imagine Tinasha spirited all the townsfolk away to another dimension so she can safely bring them back later. But who was the guy Lanak was reminiscing with at the beginning? I suspect he was instrumental in both bringing Lanak back alive and his apparent amnesia over what he did to Tinasha.

I'm also wondering how Miralys and Valt's time/dimension/whatever leaping they seemed to have been doing figures into all this. I feel like I'm watching three different series at once, and I can't follow the plot of any of them because of the haphazard way it's all being presented.

And Iron Maw, I've stopped reading your posts and their untagged spoilers, so no point in you trying to clarify anything for me. Just ignore me as I'm ignoring you in this thread.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 4:24 am Reply with quote
SinisterOracle wrote:

Oscar asking Lucrezia how Tinasha feels about him made me laugh. I believe they’re as romantically interested in each other as Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson in 50 Shades.

That scene was so wierd to me. Lucrezia just dropped Tina's whole tragic, violent backstory tha explains why she has trust issues, and the first thing he asks is "...but how does she feel about me?". I almost laughed.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:43 am Reply with quote
After a strong start this show has dropped the ball. This to me is not even related to the assault scene. The story seems to be skipping chapters left0 and right, and as a result the writing has become a mess.
Glordit

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 12:09 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
After a strong start this show has dropped the ball. This to me is not even related to the assault scene. The story seems to be skipping chapters left0 and right, and as a result the writing has become a mess.

According to people who read the novels, it's adapting things in order. The difference is that the novel is much more detailed and fills in all the gaps so you get a clear picture. That detail is being omitted in the anime, which makes the story feel disjointed and almost nonsensical at times. I'm going to assume that instead making a wordy drama, the production wanted to rush to all the action.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:
SinisterOracle wrote:

That scene was so wierd to me. Lucrezia just dropped Tina's whole tragic, violent backstory tha explains why she has trust issues, and the first thing he asks is "...but how does she feel about me?". I almost laughed.

This scene made me feel like Oscar is a piece of shit. I realize he’s meant to appear stoic and prince-like, but he showed no emotion after being told this horrific truth about Tinasha.
Troyen

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I want to like this show. It's got an interesting premise, a hint of interesting characters, and isn't an isekai/video game world, but this adaption is really making that hard. There's about a dozen supporting characters I know nothing about, and we barely even know anything about the lead characters at this point, aside from the Tinasha backstory exposition last week.

I have no idea who half of Oscar's support staff and advisors are, as aside from the squire we've barely even seen them do anything or be the focus of more than a scene or two in the show. I don't even know their names since they're rarely mentioned, which made the funeral scene a while back really confusing ("Someone important just died." "Who was that again?").

This week there's two supporting mages helping Tinasha, but have they ever been brought up before? Why are they willing to back Tinasha when the conflict breaks out? Who are those twelve super spirits, one of whom looked important enough to show up again in the future, but not important enough for anybody to mention anything about her? We had some villains back in I think episode two that entered and vanished and have we heard from them again?

I can sort-of piece out what's going on, but I feel like I'm missing half the story here. The animation quality certainly doesn't help either. I swear I rewound episode 2 and still couldn't determine visually what changed with Tinasha after her sacrifice, other than growing longer hair, but something must have because every character in the show was shocked at the change.

Are the Light Novels/Manga better at telling a complete and coherent story?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

According to people who read the novels, it's adapting things in order. The difference is that the novel is much more detailed and fills in all the gaps so you get a clear picture. That detail is being omitted in the anime, which makes the story feel disjointed and almost nonsensical at times. I'm going to assume that instead making a wordy drama, the production wanted to rush to all the action.

And they're not even doing the action well.
Troyen wrote:
Are the Light Novels/Manga better at telling a complete and coherent story?

Considering they tried adapting an entire novel in two episodes...yes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 4:10 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
And they're not even doing the action well.

Forget action, they can't even edit a shot transition right. At about the 10:30 mark, when Lanak is introducing his bride, there are two sequential 2-3 frame closeups of his cloak between jumping from the closeup of his face to the wide shot. It's practically subliminal. I think they might've been wanting to focus on him making a triumphant fist or something, changed their minds, and then failed to properly edit the inbetweens out.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:46 am Reply with quote
The sushi I ate yesterday had more substance than Oscar and Tinashe. And I don’t usually like a cold fish.

Narratively, this show is an absolute clusterfuck. I felt like this episode could’ve ended the anime adaptation and I would’ve been none the wiser there is more to this story. If only the budget would’ve run out here.

I still have no idea how some of this episode even came to pass. Lanak has been going insane over hundreds of years and that is the extent of his lunacy? Random people (and ghosts) are thrown into the mix and we most likely will never know their names or see them again. Well, we did get the name of the prince who is the brother of that lady of the evening, but I can’t remember either of their names for the life of me.

Not to mention the characters’ facial expressions and voices. It’s still so crazy to me that almost all of Tinasha’s facial expressions involve her smiling pleasantly like she no longer has a soul and is just an empty shell. Or perhaps she has facial paralysis from all of the Botox treatments? It’s rather creepy, like a serial killer or a clown. (Or, worse yet, watch the OP for episode 16 of psychic princess on CR or YouTube. Talk about the face that launched a thousand ships…)

I’m confused about the ending of the episode when Oscar informed Tinasha she’s now officially his fiancée (since he apparently thinks he owns her so he can make decisions without her input). She said something like “What about what I want?” and then appeared to just go along with it. Really? That’s all it takes? She’s not going to put up any more resistance? Or is this another thing that was lost in translation by this incredibly riveting adaptation?

All in all, another 2 out of 5 episode from ENGI. At least you can’t say they don’t maintain consistency with their work.
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Tinasha seems to have a target on her stomach as we keep seeing it getting stabbed lmao
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4